About University of York
York is a high-performing, research intensive Russell Group university and one of the world’s premier institutions for inspirational and life-changing research.
- Our focus on teaching and research excellence has resulted in consistently high rankings in the UK and a first-class reputation across the globe.
- In the we are in the world top 100 for Arts and Humanities, Life Sciences and Social Sciences and we are 28th in the league of the world’s most international universities.
- In the most recent ) York was ranked 10th for research impact (excluding institutions which have submitted fewer than four units of assessment).
- Eight of the University’s academic departments were ranked in the top five for their subject while 12 were in the top ten in terms of research impact.
- We believe passionately in research-led teaching and our outstanding programmes help students develop skills needed for success in a competitive global workplace.
- Our beautiful, green, self contained campus is located just outside York city centre and offers an to live and learn.
- York is ranked the safest of all universities in England and Wales in the The Complete University Guide 2016 – top 10 universities in England and Wales with low crime levels table.
- We have invested over £500m to expand our campus and give students access to , laboratories and research facilities.
Study at York
- We have a range of taught and research in arts and humanities, science and social sciences.
- We’ve designed our courses so that you get the most from your time working with teaching staff or studying on your own.
- You’ll study and learn with leading academics who are carrying out .
- We are home to a large number of world-renowned s which act as a focus for interdisciplinary research.
- Our extensive is open 24/7 and includes over 1,200 study spaces with flexible options for single or group study.
- Our allow you to study flexibly, anywhere in the world.
- We offer opportunities to .
- looks after our community of more than 2,000 research students from around the world. The School works with all departments and support services, ensuring you receive consistently high quality supervision and training.
- You will have access to our employer and recruiter networks, specialist careers support and
- Our Research Excellence Training Team (RETT) provides a range of to equip you with the skills, attributes and knowledge to thrive as an independent researcher and
- 96 per cent of York research students reported being in work and/or further study six months after completing their PhD (HESA, Destination of Leavers from Higher Education Survey 2015. UK/EU Graduates)
- Over 16,000 students currently study at York, and of those around 4,000 are on a postgraduate courses or research programmes. This makes for a diverse postgraduate community supported by our college system. You will be a member of one of our throughout your time here.
- We are able to offer an excellent range of on or close to campus. There is also a wide selection of private sector housing available within walking distance of campus.
- We offer a network of designed to give all of our students easy access to help and support.
- Our vibrant, , is renowned for its rich history and heritage.
- The offers professional, confidential and specialist advice and opportunities to all postgraduate students, as well as running a dedicated postgraduate welcome week, regular events, trips and free sports. The GSA has also set up a number of postgraduate networks. These run regular social events to allow you to meet new people, make friends and share ideas.
York Postgraduate Virtual Open Days
Considering postgraduate study at York? Have all your questions answered in one place during our Postgraduate Virtual Open Days. Events run across our three faculties, Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences and will be held in January/February 2018 and June 2018.
- Chat online with academic staff from our departments
- Watch talks on financing your studies and student life or watch a 'taster' lecture
- Speak to our accommodation, admissions and student support teams
- Talk to current students and applicants in our Student Lounge.
Upcoming Subject Events
From April to August, many of our academic and support departments organise subject-specific events about postgraduate study at York. You'll have the opportunity to chat online with academic and support staff as well as current postgraduate students and find out what It's like to study at York.
Masters Taster Events
Come and visit us on campus for a taster of some of our taught Masters degrees. Our Masters Taster events are a great chance to find out about masters degree study, your options and how staying on to take a Masters at York can benefit you.
There are a range of offered at the University of York from scholarships directly funded by the University to those funded by UK Research Councils. There are also scholarships supported through generous donations from as well as a number of other smaller schemes. The types, funding and numbers of awards for postgraduate students change every year according to the type of opportunities available. Furthermore, a number of academic departments have their own that students can apply for.
Find out how to .
- +44 (0) 1904 324 000
- University of York
- YO10 5DD
- Social media accounts