About UCL - University College London
A World-leading university in the heart of London
As one of the world’s leading universities, UCL is London’s top multidisciplinary research university with an international reputation for the quality of its research and teaching. UCL’s excellence extends across all academic disciplines with subjects spanning the sciences, engineering, arts and humanities, education, social sciences and biomedicine. The programmes we offer reflect the very latest research and are often taught by academic staff members who are world-leaders in their fields. We are currently ranked seventh in the .
Focused on the translation of research into solutions for the world’s major problems, UCL works across the disciplines and with partners from all over the world. We strive to ensure that our students can achieve their full potential at UCL and are equipped not just with academic knowledge but with other highly valued skills which are sought by some of the world’s most prestigious employers.
UCL offers a stimulating and richly rewarding experience for graduate students who want to study in one of the world’s leading centres of research and teaching. The university’s location on a compact site in the heart of London offers outstanding academic professional and social benefits. UCL is surrounded by the greatest concentration of libraries, museums, archives and professional bodies in Europe.
The perfect environment for learning
- UCL is rated seventh in the
- UCL has the best academic to student ratio in the UK (1:10) ()
- who are, or were, students or academics at UCL.
- Based in , UCL is surrounded by the greatest concentration of libraries, museums, archives and professional bodies in Europe
- UCL attracts top academics and students from 154 different countries, resulting in a vibrant and cosmopolitan academic community.
A global leader in generating new knowledge
- UCL is the top-rated university in the UK for research strength in the , by a measure of average research score multiplied by staff numbers submitted
- UCL is the second-most cited university in Europe ( - login required)
- UCL’s means that research is integrated into many of our degrees and students have the opportunity to make an original contribution to their field of study
Shape your career across multiple disciplines
- UCL is the eleventh highest rated university in Europe for employability ()
- UCL was awarded an Employer Review score of 99.8 out of 100 in the
- The average starting salary for UCL Master’s graduates was £29,325 in 2014, while research students achieved an average of £39,462. These salaries are nearly 20% higher than the national average. ()
A proud history and an unrivalled ethos
- UCL was founded in 1826 to open up university education in England to those who had been excluded from it. In 1878, it became the first university in England to admit women students on equal terms with men
- UCL’s ethos is strongly influenced by its spiritual founder , the utilitarian philosopher, who famously said: "it is the greatest happiness of the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong”
- This philosophy manifests itself today in UCL’s approach and and the importance it places on global citizenship
- More locally, UCL is the , working with partners to build closer involvement between universities, local communities and the wider public
Complex problems require complex responses. The only institutions in our society that bring together a range of different actors from different disciplines are universities. And UCL is paramountly the absolute best place to go to look for this kind of multidisciplinary response to one of the greatest challenges facing the world.Dr Richard Horton Editor of 'The Lancet', on the UCL-Lancet Commission on Managing the Health Effects of Climate Change
Find out more
To find out more about our range of postgraduate taught programmes and research opportunities, as well as information about fees, funding, entry requirements and how to apply, visit our .
- +44 (0)20 7679 3000
- University College London
- Gower Street
- WC1E 6BT