About Liverpool John Moores University
Postgraduate taught and research opportunities at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
LJMU offers a supportive, flexible academic environment, well-structured postgraduate programmes and access to extensive resources.
The University’s wide range of disciplines, spans the arts, humanities, education, health, science and technology and all postgraduate programmes are delivered by academics actively involved in research or consultancy projects.
It is this combination of academic expertise and ‘real world’ experience that ensures LJMU courses prepare students for the world of work, enabling them to enjoy fulfilling and successful careers.
Find out more about LJMU
Six things you should know about LJMU
- Founded in 1823, LJMU is ranked in the top 600 higher education institutions in the world (THE World University Ranking 2017/18)
- 96% of LJMU postgraduate students are in work or further study six months after graduation (Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) 2016)
- The University is a leading research institution, with 96% of its research rated as international quality or better (REF 2014)
- The University welcomes staff and students from over 100 countries worldwide
- Liverpool is one of the most affordable university cities, ranked 14, in Business Insider UK and marbles.com
- LJMU students are entitled to free off-peak access to Lifestyles Fitness Centres across Liverpool and get exclusive offers to events at Tate Liverpool, Sound City, the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Everyman & Playhouse, the Royal Court and other leading cultural organisations
A world-class city
This former European Capital of Culture and UNESCO World Heritage Site has something for everyone and when it comes to welcomes, you can expect the very warmest here.
- Liverpool is a friendly, multicultural place to study
- Food and drink: Liverpool has cool cafés, well-stocked supermarkets, reasonably-priced restaurants and excellent eateries to suit every taste and budget. The city also has a huge choice of pubs, nightclubs, alcohol-free bars and coffee shops where you can enjoy great conversation and music
- Shopping: From the high street stores and designer outlets in Liverpool One and Met Quarter, to the independent boutiques on Bold Street and the Georgian Quarter, Liverpool is the place to go shopping
- Music: As the home of The Beatles and ‘world capital of pop’ (Liverpool World Capital City of Pop, Guinness Book of Records), it will come as no surprise that a great music scene exists in the city. Our annual festivals include Liverpool Psych Fest, Africa Oyé, Sound City, Brazilica and the Liverpool International Music Festival. You can also listen to live music in a host of venues and pop-up spaces
- Art and culture: The city’s art scene is wonderfully diverse, from the world-renowned collections of the Walker Art Gallery and Tate Liverpool to the Open Eye Gallery, FACT, Bluecoat and Biennial. Other highlights include the Arabic Arts Fest, Liverpool Irish Festival and Brouhaha, Liverpool’s very own carnival
- Green spaces: The city has lots of beautiful parks and is just a short drive away from Crosby Beach. Southport, Formby and the world class beauty spots of Snowdonia and the Lake District
A postgraduate qualification from LJMU will help you fulfil your professional ambitions, boosting your career development and future earnings. LJMU offers a range of taught programmes (PGCE, PGDE, MA, MBA, MSc, MRes) in each of the five Faculties:
Degree preparation courses for international students
The LJMU International Study Centre offers Pre-Masters programmes which provide direct access to Business, Management and Law or Engineering and Computing courses for overseas students.
For more information take a look at their or them using their . Student Enrolment Advisers will do their best to you in your preferred language.
Funding for taught masters students
It is very important to be aware of the sources of funding available before you embark on further study. LJMU staff can help you find up-to-date information about funding opportunities and, of course, give you all the information you need about programmes fees.
For more information the Student Advice Team:or call 0151 231 3153 / 3154.
Postgraduate Masters loans are available for the 2018/19 academic year. The new loans will be available for students attending eligible full and part-time Masters courses. See details of .
LJMU Alumni Award
All LJMU graduates are entitled to a 20% reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate courses. You can find out more about the .
Funding for research degrees (PhD scholarships)
There are two types of scholarship available:
- fully-funded PhD scholarship
- fees-only PhD scholarship
For more information, see the
Postgraduate Scholarships are available to exceptional new students joining the University in 2018/2019, including students progressing from the LJMU International Study Centre.
The Scholarships offer full or partial tuition fee waivers. .
LJMU carries out research via its acclaimed, which support innovative new approaches crossing traditional academic boundaries and challenging conventional thinking. The success of this strategy was reflected in LJMU’s strong performance in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Research and scholarship activities are central to the student experience, informing the curriculum at all levels and providing exceptional academic experiences.
Did you know?
- is a world-leader in its field thanks to its award-winning public engagement activities, innovative teaching and acclaimed research and applied consultancy services
- 96% of LJMU research is rated as of international quality or above (REF 2014)
Join LJMU’s vibrant research community
LJMU strongly encourages multi-disciplinary research and actively supports collaboration with institutions across the world. It offers research students the opportunity to become part of a vibrant research community, delivering world-leading and internationally-excellent research right across the institution. Supervision is available in each of the five Faculties and the University also offers Professional Doctorates, an alternative to a PhD, for staff in organisations who want to research and develop their professional practice at doctorate level.
See more information about .
The website also has further details of .
A dedicated Doctoral Academy
For advice on progressing to a PhD, information about examinations and research degree regulations or assistance with ethical approval, LJMU’s is the one-stop-shop for postgraduate expertise.
All LJMU research students are assigned a dedicated supervisory team to support and guide them through their research and, when it comes to academic expertise, the Academy offers a research induction programme generic skills training sessions throughout the year. You can find out more about .
LJMU has three libraries, with two offering 24/7 opening hours during semesters. The libraries’ extensive print collections, professional journals and electronic catalogue offer all the resources required to keep up-to-date with the latest developments.
Student Administration Centres
A Student Administration Centre is based in each of the LJMU libraries and acts as a single point of access to information and advice at the University. Students can complete all administrative transactions in one location, dealing with issues relating to enrolment, tuition fees, student ID cards, council tax, submitting coursework and assignments, teaching and exam timetables, and networked PCs and applications. Centre staff can also signpost other University services for example, those dealing with finance, childcare and academic issues.
LJMU postgraduates are highly sought after by employers and 96% are in work or further study six months after graduation (HESA 2016). LJMU enjoys close links with employers operating in all sectors of the economy and has highly-effective relationships with a wide-range of organisations across the region, including councils, NHS trusts, charities, community and youth groups, schools, environmental groups, arts and culture companies, tourism bodies and leisure providers. These partnerships are crucial in helping postgraduate students forge links with key s working in their specialist fields.
Dedicated student support services
The University’s expert staff work hard to ensure every student gets the support they need to succeed, both before they arrive at LJMU and during their studies.
- Students are allocated a personal tutor, or supervisor for research students, to oversee personal and general academic progress and offer advice
- Personal development planning is integrated into every course
- Free study skills courses and workshops on IT skills, academic writing, numeracy and maths support, revision skills and referencing take place throughout the academic year
- There are free academic English courses for non-native English-speaking students
- The Spiritual Support team provides confidential pastoral care and support to students of all beliefs and backgrounds
- Multi-faith prayer rooms are available for personal prayer, reflection and contemplation
- A free, confidential Counselling Service is available on an individual or group basis
- The University provides disability support for students with additional needs as a result of a medical condition, disability or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
Find out more about the .
LJMU recognises that postgraduate students often prefer a quieter study and living environment. That's why the University offers .
- Contact name
- Course Enquiries
- +44(0)151 231 5090
- Student Recruitment and Admissions
- Exchange Station
- Tithebarn St
- L2 2QP
- Social media accounts