Disabled Students' Allowances

Emma Knowles, Editorial assistant
September, 2017

The needs-assessed, non-repayable Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) are designed to help students with additional requirements reach their full academic potential

How much can I receive?

For 2017/18, postgraduates eligible for DSA funding in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will receive a single allowance of up to £10,652. Scottish students may get more, with full-time students receiving a basic allowance of up to £1,725, an equipment allowance of £5,160 and a non-medical personal help allowance of up to £20,520.

These figures are stipulated as a maximum - most students will get much less. The DSA doesn't cover the cost of anything unrelated to your condition (such as standard course books), or costs associated with your disability that you'd still incur if you weren't studying. It is allocated specifically to cover equipment, non-medical helpers and additional travel costs related to your studies.

Your background, household income and employment status won't affect the funding you're entitled to. DSA is needs-tested, not means-tested, meaning you'll complete a needs assessment to determine the level of help you require.

Am I eligible for DSA?

To receive DSA payment, you must:

  • Meet the definition of 'disabled' - under the Equality Act 2010, you're considered disabled if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect on your ability to complete simply daily tasks. In this definition, conditions lasting for 12 months or more qualify as 'long term'.
  • Prove that you're disabled - you can do so by submitting a doctor's report, or completing a diagnostic assessment for a specific learning disability, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.
  • Not be receiving equivalent support - this includes the NHS disabled students' allowance, university funding, or a Social Work Bursary.
  • Not be a European Union (EU) national - you can't usually get DSA if you're an EU student.

Is my course eligible?

Most full-time postgraduate courses are eligible for DSA payment. This includes:

You course is also eligible if you're studying it part time. However, the total duration of the course must not last more than twice as long as the full-time equivalent (three times as long if you're studying in Northern Ireland).

You can't receive DSA while undertaking a paid work placement as part of a sandwich course.

How do I apply for DSA?

The application process follows a similar structure across all parts of the UK. You'll first submit an application form, accompanied by the required evidence of your disability, to the relevant administrative body:

Once you've had confirmation of your eligibility, you'll need to book a needs assessment appointment and make the appropriate travel arrangements. The needs assessment is an informal session, lasting approximately two hours - you'll talk to your assessor about your course and together identify what kind of help would best suit your needs.

Don't book your needs assessment or make any purchases before you've been ed by the relevant body as you won't be reimbursed. If you're moving straight from undergraduate study to postgraduate study, you may not need a new needs assessment, but you must check this.

Expect the process to last 14 weeks from submitting your application to receiving funding, which will be paid directly to your bank account or to the suppliers of your additional equipment.

It's always best to apply as soon as you can to allow for any delays or errors with your application. Postgraduate students have to reapply for DSA funding for every year of study.

What alternatives to DSA are there?

Research Council-funded students can apply for additional disability-related financial support from their research organisation. This is also called a DSA, but isn't related to the main government DSA and cannot be received in conjunction with it.

Contact the named Disability Adviser at your research organisation to arrange a needs assessment directly with them, as it's the organisation that provides the funding.

Alternatively, if you're ineligible to receive DSA, you can find financial support elsewhere - your university, as well as various charities and foundations, may have a number of scholarships and bursaries on offer for disabled students.

Find out more